Chili Sin Carne Recipe
Created by Ada High School, Ada, OK | Cady Merchant, 2013 – 2015 | Edited by Delphine Remy
Yields: 6 servings | Total time: 40 minutes
This is an awesome cookoff-winning chili sin carne recipe!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can chicken/vegetable broth
- 3 (15 oz. each) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 oz.) cans canned tomatoes
- 8 jalapeño slices (canned), chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Optional toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado, shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), salsa
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat until simmering. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the broth, the black beans, the diced tomatoes, the jalapeño, the cumin, the chili powder, the oregano, and the salt. Stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 40 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm, garnished with your favorite toppings.