Greek Turkey Burger with Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
Created by High School for Health Careers and Sciences, New York, NY | Zina Kinslow, 2014-2016 | Edited by Delphine Remy
Yields: 4 burgers | Total time: 30 minutes
A Greek-American healthy celebration!
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 9 tsp dried dill
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1 cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 6 sun dried tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (or diced feta)
- 1 pack of buns
Prepare the produce:
- Wash and dry the fresh produce. Peel and mince the garlic, dice the red onion, dice the cucumber, slice the tomatoes and chop the spinach.
Form the slider patties:
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground turkey, panko breadcrumbs, garlic, red onion, sundried tomatoes, spinach, feta, egg, oregano and dill. Season with salt and pepper and mix until well combined. Using your hands, divide the mixture into 4 equal parts.
Cook the burgers:
- In a large pan (nonstick, if you have one) add 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the burger patties and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. (You can easily test the doneness of your burger by cutting a small slit into the middle of one of them).
- Transfer the cooked patties to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
Toast the buns & make the sauce:
- In the same pan used to cook the burgers, heat 2 teaspoons of oil on medium until hot. Add the buns, cut-side-down, and toast 1 to 3 minutes, or until golden. While the buns toast, in a small bowl make the Greek Tzatziki sauce, combine the Greek yogurt, cucumbers, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, dill, mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Make your plate:
- Lay the toasted buns and spread a little of the sauce on each.
- Place one burger patty on each bun bottom.
- Top the patty with spinach leaves, slice of red onion, more Tzatziki sauce and complete the burgers with the tops of the buns.
- Serve with a salad or sweet potatoes fries on the side. Enjoy!