Minestrone Soup Recipe
Created by Del Norte High School, Crescent City, CA | Rachel Marler, 2015 | Edited by Delphine Remy
Yields: 6 servings | Total time: 1-1.5 hours
One-way ticket to Italy!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups green beans, chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. oregano, dried
- 1 Tbsp. basil, dried
- Optional: parmesan cheese (grated for topping), bread or croutons, parsley (chopped)
- In a stock pot or electric kettle, sauté the chopped onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, basil, and crushed tomatoes and bring to simmer.
- Add the salt, pepper, all the vegetables, the chicken or vegetable broth.
- Bring to simmer and add the kidney beans.
- Simmer gently until vegetables are soft and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese, bread, and parsley.
- It is a great family dish, ENJOY!