Spicy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Created by Edward M. Kennedy Academy for Health Careers, Boston, MA | Althea Luhm, 2014-2016 | Edited by Delphine Remy
Yields: 2 servings | Total time: 25 minutes
Sweet and spicy, this delicious and warming soup is so easy to make. Packed with goodness, it makes a nutritious and filling lunch option or main meal.
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 small sweet potatoes), thinly sliced
- 1-2 chipotle or jalapeno peppers, minced
- 14 ounces’ veggie stock
- Cilantro to garnish
- Salt, pepper, and/or cumin to taste
- Chop the onion and the sweet potato.
- Mince the garlic.
- In a medium-size pot, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the potato.
- Add the stock and turn the heat down to medium/low.
- Let this cook (softening the potatoes) for 20 minutes or so, depending on the size of the potato slices.
- Season with salt, pepper, and/or cumin and the jalapeño peppers.
- Be careful while using a hand blender to thoroughly combine ingredients. You may also use a regular blender. Be careful! It’s super hot.
- Pour into a nice bowl and sprinkle with fresh herbs and ENJOY!